Knowing your employees
PERSONNEL RECORDS ARE IMPORTANT SO THAT YOU:
- Make decisions based on fact, not rumour or recent impression;
- Can manage staff costs accurately;
- Measure how effectively individual employees are performing;
- Anticipate problems on recruitment, labour turnover, absence, lateness, accidents, discipline and sickness;
- Ensure customer need is matched by the right number and quality of staff;
- Know the discipline policy is being applied fairly.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
- Start with a straightforward manual (or computerised) record system;
- Record only what is needed; find out from your managers and staff what they need;
- Compile a comprehensive application form; it is a base document for selection purposes;
- Consult your employees; they need to be confident about the use of the recording system;
- Maintain confidentiality at all times;
- Meet the requirements of Jersey Data Protection Law.*
WHAT DETAILS DO YOU NEED TO KEEP IN YOUR PERSONNEL RECORDS?
- Personal information... name, date of birth, address, educational/professional qualifications, previous experience, next of kin and Island residential status;
- Employment information... date started with employer, job title and date started current job;**
- Terms and conditions ... pay rate(s), hours of work, holidays, maternity leave and pensions;**
- Absence information... lateness and sickness (authorised and unauthorised);
- Details of accidents at work;
- Information on disciplinary actions... warnings and decisions;
- Training and development projects and courses;
WHERE TO GO FOR HELP
- Please call us on 730503 if you require any further assistance/advice.
*Employees are entitled to have access to their personal details held on computer under The Data Protection (Jersey) Law 1987.
**Some of this information is required to be contained in a written statement given to employees under Employment (Jersey) Law 2003.
General Data Protection Regulation
Sign up for email updates
Interested in receiving new bulletins from JACS? Sign up now for our latest updates by email