Keeping check of staff costs
KEEPING STAFF COSTS IN CHECK IS IMPORTANT FOR THE SUCCESS OF THE ORGANISATION BECAUSE:
- Excess levels of absence can force up costs e.g. overtime payments to compensate;
- Absences may cause a failure in the provision of services or meeting targets;
- Absences may lead to a loss of morale, also affecting services and production;
- Unacceptable labour turnover can have similar effects;
- Labour turnover leads to fresh recruitment/training costs.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
- Make sure you know the size of such problems;
- A close examination of records should show up particular areas which need attention;
- Discussion with individual employees can resolve potential problems;
- Carry out exit interviews to identify problem areas.
WAYS OF DEALING WITH ABSENCE LEVEL PROBLEMS
- Measure and monitor absence levels;
- Pay especial attention to matters such as working conditions and pay levels;
- Interview employees after short-term absences;
- Discuss long-term sickness absence with employees; arrange medical opinion if necessary;
- Introduce a capability policy and use it effectively.
WAYS OF DEALING WITH EXCESSIVE LABOUR TURNOVER
- Measure and monitor labour turnover levels;
- Pay especial attention to recruitment, training and induction of new employees.
WHERE TO GO FOR HELP
- The Jersey Advisory and Conciliation Service is available to give free advice on this and all other employment relations matters. Just give us a ring on 730503.
General Data Protection Regulation
Sign up for email updates
Interested in receiving new bulletins from JACS? Sign up now for our latest updates by email